Saturday, September 22, 2007

Autumn arrives

I know, I know. It's hot as hell outside. But these bright blue skies have got me thinking about fall and the storage vessels, mugs and soup bowls that come with the cool weather.

In the lidded vessels class Mary Ann is teaching, students are learning to make soup bowls with handles and lids. Not only are they functional and perfect for the cold weather, but they're cute as hell! Lynne pointed out that they'll take up more cabinet space, but you can design them to stack pretty well if you put the handle on high up, like this.


This week I continued with my megalomania, throwing this monstrosity and thinking all the while of famous cases of the disease: Icarus, the Tower of Babel, and Lucifer. When you've pulled all the way to the top, and you're wondering if a shaky hand is going to throw a wobble into the pot, it's easy to see the connection. But throwing big is addicting and I'm likely to keep it up until the cost of clay becomes overwhelming.

I also realized that the first two glorious weeks of the semester are gone. Why so nostalgic? Well, leisure courses have started, which has cut out about 2/3 of the free studio time at the ACC. Also, my first batch of pots is out of the bisque firing. That means it's time for the dreaded glazing phase. I better start doing some test tiles if I want my preciouses to come out anything other than poop brown. Herb came out of the oven, and his bum looked so adorable I had to take a photo.



On the bright side, less studio time means more outdoor time. Enjoy this gorgeous weather!

3 comments:

Alex Tiegen said...

Hey Steph,
Some of that is true for me, especially the parts about feeling like you exist in two different realities and noticing details others don't . Loud noises and loud music don't bother me as much as they used to. The sounds of popping balloons and exploding fireworks used to frighten me more than they scared most people.

Stupid little noises or behaviors get to me when they shouldn't. I used to get really irritated at the noise my Mom makes when she chews.

An interesting symptom not mentioned in the videos is the way Autistic people respond to certain textures. I unconsciously run my hand along the wall as I walk down hallways sometimes because I like the feeling of support it gives me.

But I hate how how my hands feel when I place them in the standard keyboarding position when I'm typing or when I spread my fingers apart. It makes me feel like I'm going to vomit, for some reason.
That's why I hunt and peck when I type.

Alex Tiegen said...

Glad to see Herb survived the kiln without melting into bacon fat. I noticed Arnold likes Watership Down. Have you read it, too? I love that book.

Unknown said...

Hey, Steph, I sent the blog site to Bob A. I am checking it often and looking for the newest, bestest creations. Feel free to invite me to the craft center to see your stuff live anytime. Mom