Saturday, October 13, 2007

Complementary colors


My very first babies of the semester are out of the oven. I've been working with red clay because of its earthiness and lack of grit, and I started out with a glaze that I know works well on red clay (Thanks to Reisa, who discovered this combo). It's called Ice Blue in our studio, and it tends to be fairly runny and translucent. It brings out a bright red tone in the clay and complements it well where thicker.


I was especially pleased with how this bowl came out. I had the idea of carving this after I noticed the shape of the bowl reminded me of a flower. The Ice Blue was perfect for this piece because I carved and texturized it. Really shows off the details.

1 comment:

Unknown said...

Love the bowl, Steph. Nice to use carving in your pottery techniques. Can't wait to see it in person. Mom